MANILA, Philippines — The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has now received a total of 29 death reports amid persistent rain in parts of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.
It has already validated the death of 15 people and is still confirming reports on 14 others, according to its situational report issued Tuesday.
Of the total, eight death cases were reported from Zamboanga Peninsula while seven each were reported from Eastern Visayas and Northern Mindanao.
Also, the Bicol Region reported five deaths while Davao Region and Soccsksargen (South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani, and General Santos City) reported one death case each.
The NDRRMC also said it received reports that 12 people were injured while four people remain missing due to widespread rain since January 2, which has affected 347,382 families or 1,398,103 people to date.
Meanwhile, NDRMMC’s latest report indicated that the bad weather has so far resulted in agricultural losses amounting to P373.9 million and damage to infrastructure worth P171.5 million.
A number of low pressure areas (LPAs) have entered the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) since the beginning of January while the shear line and northeast monsoon (locally known as amihan) continue to affect the country.
In its 4 a.m. Tuesday weather bulletin, the state weather bureau said two low-pressure areas (LPA) are currently inside the PAR and that cloudy skies and rain will still persist in past of the country.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.